Events for November 29, 2013
Thanksgiving Holiday (Iliff closed)
November 28 - December 1, 2013
Description: Iliff offices and Taylor Library are closed to observed the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend.
Date: Thursday, Nov. 28 – Sunday, Dec. 1
Location: Iliff School of Theology, 2323 E. Iliff Ave., Denver, CO 80210
Info/Contact: 303-744-1287 or 1-800-678-3360
Zimbabwe & South Africa Cultural Immersion Learning Project
November 29, 2013
Description: The 2013 trip to Zimbabwe and South Africa will be the first of the Justice & Peace Program’s new cultural immersion learning projects. The main purpose of these projects will be to extend cross-cultural understanding and allyship by developing partnerships with communities both local and global. Print trip flyer & application.
- The trip will occur November 15-29, 2013. The cost will be $4100 for current Iliff students, and $5000 for all other non-students. Students may register to receive 2 credit hours for their participation.
- An initial deposit will be due by April 1, 2013. Remaining payments will be collected in designated installments (see page 2 for details). We continue to explore ways to subsidize trip costs, with current students as our main funding priority. If you would like to financially support a participant, please let us know.
- Our itinerary will include a wide variety of activities: dialogue with local citizens, seminars with justice-related
organizations, church community visits, service work, in-country travel, group reflection, sightseeing, etc.
- In the months prior to leaving, the group will be required to complete some modest reading and assemble for a few mandatory meetings. We want participants to be as prepared as possible for what they will experience individually and communally, without being overwhelmed by busy work. We expect the trip to be a wonderful and life-changing experience for all involved. However, it will not represent a “tourist” or “mission” trip in any traditional sense. Applicants are encouraged to ensure their passports are in order, consider any special accommodations they will require, and reflect on their ability to commit to a demanding journey.
How to apply
Students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends of Iliff are invited to submit an application, although space will be limited. Participants will be selected based on several criteria, including quality of application, rationale for participating, preparedness to complete the journey, potential for contribution to the group, and relationship to Iliff.
- Name, age, affiliation to Iliff (current student, alumnus, friend, etc.), current occupation or program of study.
- Describe why you want to participate in this trip. What motivates you to apply?
- The trip will pose many physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual challenges. Explain your ability and willingness to commit to these challenges, noting how you will prepare for any particular difficulties.
- Group dynamics will be vitally important to the experience. What qualities might you contribute, or roles might you play, in the creation of a strong and supportive community of fellow travelers?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience? What specific goals, fears, and questions do you have? Is there anything else you would like us to know?
Fit to Travel: Travel to Zimbabwe and South Africa is demanding. Your commitment to undertake this trip means that you are in good health and physically able to travel. Please keep in mind that access and accessibility is extremely limited in most facilities in both countries. If you are physically challenged or challenged in some other way please plan accordingly.
Accommodation: In order to minimize costs all accommodation will be shared. Although we cannot guarantee it, we will make every attempt to make sure that you are paired with a roommate of your choice where this is possible. If you desire either a single or a double room let us know immediately. You are responsible for any single or double room charges.
Price: Although we will try to keep all costs at a minimum please keep in mind currency fluctuations overseas may necessitate increase in the price of the trip. So the sooner you pay your deposit and trip fees the better, as this will enable us to lock in the price of airfare, accommodation, and ground transportation. It is therefore critical for you to meet all payment deadlines.
Deposit and Payments: All participants must make an initial deposit by April 1, 2013 to secure their spot. The schedule for collecting deposits and remaining payment installments will be arranged as follows:
- For current Iliff students: $1500 by April 1; $1500 by June 3; $1100 by August 1. Total = $4100.
- For all other non-students: $2000 by April 1; $2000 by June 3; $1000 by August 1. Total = $5000.
Cancellation Fees: Should a participant need to withdraw from the trip, payments will be refunded on a sliding scale until airline tickets have been purchased. Once airline tickets have been purchased they cannot be changed and there will be no refunds. There will be a 20% administrative fee levied on all cancellations prior to purchase of airline tickets.
Included: Roundtrip airfare to Zimbabwe and South Africa, ground transportation, accommodation (bed and breakfast), some sightseeing, most lunches and dinners, and all program fees.
Not included: Beverages at meals, unscheduled sightseeing, concerts, nightlife or other unscheduled cultural events, internet/wi-fi, telephone fees, tips, and other airline expenses beyond airfare (such as baggage fees, departures taxes and visa costs).
Students: Both residential and Journey program students are encouraged to apply. We are committed to coordinating reasonable accommodations for Journey students to participate in pre-trip meetings and preparations. Students who wish to receive credit hours for their participation may communicate with the Registrar about details and extra charges.
[The above information may change subject to fluctuations in the circumstances in Zimbabwe and South Africa.]
Dates: November 15-29, 2013
Location: Zimbabwe and South Africa via Denver International Airport