First Year Colloquium & Basic Field Education
In Colloquia, students meet two hours/week, during the fall, winter and spring quarters to explore questions surrounding:
- Identity and vocation
- Personal concerns related to theological education
- Implications of diversity in ministry
Basic Field Education
- Placements are designed to expose students to new dimensions of ministry
- 5 hrs/week + 1 hr/week supervision for 10 weeks in Winter Quarter
Advanced Field Education
Advanced Field Education focuses on the supervised practice of ministry either through a year long, full-time internship, or a year long part-time process in which the students enroll for two hours of credit each quarter – fall, winter and spring – for one academic year concurrent with other classes.
Part-time concurrent option
- Weekly small group of AFE students co-led by a member of the Iliff faculty and an adjunct with experience in ministry
- Theological reflection and social analysis of ministry
- Case studies based on field ed. sites
- Integrative Theology of Ministry paper
Part-time field placement
- Students work in a parish or other ministry site fourteen hours per week
- Meet weekly with their site supervisor for an hour of supervision
- Work with a lay or consultation committee to receive feedback and support, and to gain experience interacting with laypersons and/or clients or co-workers.
- Students establish a learning/serving covenant with their site that includes the development of four learning goals that guide their field education and work.
- Students serve full-time for 9-12 months in church or other ministry setting. Upon completion of the Internship year, the student returns to seminary for the final year of studies.