ILIFF STUDENT EMERGENCY FUND
This fund was created to assist and support Iliff students who encounter an unforeseen financial emergency or catastrophic event which would otherwise prevent them from continuing their education at the Iliff School of Theology.
The Student Emergency Fund provides limited financial assistance to currently enrolled Iliff students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation. The Iliff Student Senate was involved in establishing the Student Emergency Fund. It is administered by the Office of Financial Aid.
These funds are not intended to be used for routine expenses or as a supplement to a student’s education funding sources. Instead, these funds are for those students who experience an event or unforeseen circumstance that negatively and severely impacts their academic success. The Office of Student Financial Aid provides assistance in determining if the granting of the emergency fund request would have a negative impact on current or future aid received. Therefore, long term needs can be addressed by meeting with The Office of Financial Aid to determine available options.
Funds are awarded as a grant, and unlike a loan, do not need to be repaid. Funds may be considered income and may be subject to federal and/or state taxes.
TYPES OF EXPENSES THAT MAY BE COVERED
- Medical, dental or mental health emergencies. This could include acute physical or psychological crisis and short-term disability, necessitating immediate intervention. Monies could assist in continued enrollment or to cover an expense not covered by insurance or other funding
- Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters. Unexpected costs related to the event for which the student is financially unprepared, for example
- Safety needs
- Emergency or temporary housing assistance to help with rent or utilities
- Expenses related to the death of an immediate family
- Other emergency situation that would prevent a student from continuing their education at Iliff
The following includes examples of items that will NOT be covered by this fund. This list is not exhaustive:
- Penalties, fines, tickets, legal fees, or jail bonds
- Usual and anticipated academic expenses (tuition, fees, health insurance, books, rent)
- Non-essential utilities, household or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, or non-emergency travel
- Replacement of non-essential personal items due to fire, flood, theft or natural disaster
- Need to be currently enrolled at the Iliff School of Theology during the term when the emergency funds would be applied
- Must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unplanned event
- Must be able to demonstrate their current financial need
- Must complete all questions in full, including how the monies will be spent
- Must describe other sources of funding and financial resources that have been considered (including student loans, Medicaid, personal financial accounts, community resources) and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a necessarily timely manner
- Funds may only be awarded once during a student’s academic year at the Iliff School of Theology
- Travel-related documentation
- Medical bills (redacted for privacy)
- Essential utility bills
- Police or Fire reports, Landlord documents, or court records
- Receipts or invoices pertaining to covered expenses listed above
Students receiving assistance from this fund must submit receipts within ten (10) business days. Failure to do so could prohibit use of this fund in the future. Receipts are submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.
THINGS TO NOTE REGARDING THE STUDENT EMERGENCY FUND
Receiving this grant could affect the student’s financial aid package. If the student’s financial aid package will be impacted by the grant, the student will be notified via email prior to awarding so they are able to make an informed decision as to accepting the donation.
Financial Aid Director
|Dr. Jeremy Garber
|To access the student emergency fund application, please click HERE|
|To make a donation to support the Iliff Student Emergency Fund, please click HERE. Thank you.|